Have you ever felt so angry you could throw something? Have you ever felt fumes igniting from your head? You were probably shaking, full of rage, and you felt out of control with anger. One minute you were perfectly calm, and then out of nowhere something triggered and you blew up. Let's get right to it and conquer that anger! Overcome, release, and prevent inner anger with these 3 different methods.
1. Understand what triggers you
Everyone gets triggered based on different life experiences. By understanding what triggers you, you can develop the awareness to anticipate potential anger outbursts. Triggers are often developed based on past experiences. I want you to think back to when you were growing up and see if you are a yes to the following questions:
- Were you bullied?
- Did you have a poor quality relationship with friends/adults?
- Did you experience betrayal?
- Were you lonely?
- Did you feel you judged?
- Did you experience harsh language?
- Were you disrespected?
- Did you feel out of control?
- Did you feel violated?
- Were you put down or rejected?
If you answered yes to any of the above, that may be the source of the anger trigger. For example, let's say Ron experienced harsh language growing up. He may be triggered when someone let's out harsh language today. The trigger may even surface by someone he doesn't know. Ron is walking down the street and walks past a stranger yelling at someone on their phone. Ron's subconscious recognizes and associates that experience to his own. Whether Ron is with friends or around strangers, by understanding his sensitivity to harsh language he can anticipate and move through a potential anger outburst.
2. Release anger in a matter of minutes
Often times, anger is something that people do not want to express. However, it is important to release and express to move forward and through the it. If you are feeling angry, this is a quick release method. The best part is that this method does not come at the expense of those you love and care about. Follow the steps below.
Step 1: Stand up, put your hands on your hips, feel your feet on the ground
Step 2: Make a growling sound, go grrrrrrrrrr with as much force as you can
By growling, you have the chance to express your anger and through expressing, you release it and feel better.
3. Release anger through nutrition
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, each body part is associated with a particular emotion. Anger is associated with the liver. The liver plays a crucial role in ridding the body of toxins. A clean liver means a clean filter for the body. By eating liver stimulating foods, the body can actually self-repair itself and physically release that anger.
Foods for the liver include:
- Leafy greens contain chlorophyll which purifies the blood and neutralizes heavy metals, pesticides, and toxic chemicals
- Apples are known as the blood cleansing vacuum cleaner
- Beets boost the liver by loading it with nutrients and removing toxins that often get stored in it
- The cruciferous family, broccoli/cabbage/cauliflower flush carcinogens from the liver and increase the rate of toxins leaving the body
If you ever experience an anger outburst, try making yourself a liver friendly meal. This is a form of self care and something that you can consciously do release anger through a physical outlet.
The next time you feel that anger arising, apply any or all of these tools. See which one works best for you! Let the love in and the anger out!